Saturday, June 16, 2007

Murphy's Law

You've heard of Murphy's Law? Well, if you havn't, am sure you definitely would've experienced it umpteen number of times (and called it many different names - I don't want to go into detail about the names. hehe!).

Like the slice of bread that you painstakingly buttered, falls with the buttered side down. Or, when the guy-who-fixes-computers finally arrives (after the 100th call) and checks out the 'ill' computer, it works like a charm. We've seen it all.

Well, if you ask me... (please do ask) Looks like Murphy has taken an unusual liking to me. Cos somehow I always seem to be getting into trouble at all the wrong places and at the wrong time.

I was this average college student, who used to depend on the humble public transport, The Bus. The Bus was The Boss. Half the breakfast you had is expended on kicking, pushing, shoving and balancing in The Bus that's never going straight, but somehow weaves and meanders through the road (which, by the way, is worse). Coupled with this driver who derives a sadistic pleasure out of slamming the brakes, so that he can batten up the passengers to make more space for packing more sardines, oops! passengers.

You might be wondering why all this drivel on the complexities of travelling on the bus... Well, you'll see how Murphy's Law puts all this into perspective.

So, you leave home early everyday to catch this less-packed bus. Everyday you wait at the right time for The Bus to arrive. But it's got the cheek to always show up 10 mins late than scheduled. The impudent lil piece of metal! This happens 29 days outta 30.
So the next day, the 30th day, what do you do!? You show what you can do and you arrive 10 mins late! Today you'll catch The Bus right on dot! HA! .......... N of all the days, today, The Bus was early by 10 mins. On time. Come n gone.

This has happened to me every time I tried it.

Ok, let's consider another situation... Am the goody-goody employee who never wastes a single moment in office (ahem! blogging is not included in the list), pays attention to my job, dutifully buries my head in files, doodles on paper, stares intelligently into the computer checking pals' mails, never attends personal (chit-chat) calls, and most important -- sits ram-rod straight in the chair (body language counts a lot, buddy). I do this everyday...

But The Boss (here the MD) never seems to notice, cos he never passes by. You wish he sees you working diligently at that obsolete file trying to revive it... But no, nothing doing. he never sees you.

And then one day, the mobile rings, n I think, What the hell! I might as well take it, and as I go yakkity-yak on the phone, I lean back, relax n enjoy the call. It'l take just 2 mins...

Then, Murphy strikes and the MD passes right beside my cabin n what does he see? His least-seen employee draped on the backrest of the chair, engaged in a useless phone call! I bet you, in one hour, you'll get that most-hated project no one in office wanted to take up.

Murphy's after me, I tell you. He's after me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you pulled himm. you are the one to be blamed

Anup said...

Thank god I didn't call you today. I would have been wondering if I did this to you :-)

If you see Murphy, say Hi, and ask him to stay away from me :D

My Verbal Diarrhoea said...

@ Chronicwriter
Blame? N me?! Wrong number! Am not-guilty of everything, by default. :D :D :D

My Verbal Diarrhoea said...

@ anup
When I see Murphy (and am gonna do SOME seeing), I'll make him feel sorry! That's what I'll do! Hmph!